Saturday, July 14, 2012

Attuned

Triggers and Being Attune Today talking about agency, triggers and being attune- guys this is good stuff! Have you ever felt, why do I attract certain types of unwanted attention or types of people in my life? I sure have. That has constantly been a replay in my mind when I come across people who over step boundaries. And for anyone who knows my funny awkward stories from bars and beyond, this is of common occurrence. I constantly question- why do I attract the creeps, the boundary violators, and obscure characters? This is a loaded question and puts my self to blame, that there is something about my innate nature that attracts these kinds of interactions. And I start self blaming and seem to let it happen to me. I justify it and I feel at fault. Today I was able to see an alternative view and put language into effect that maybe it is not "I attract this" but "I am highly attune to this behavior, I understand how it plays out, I have seen it, and so it is easy for me to pick up on obscure behavior and interactions. There is a lot more empowerment possibilities in the latter way of viewing weird interactions. All of the sudden I am no longer a victim to self blaming thoughts, instead I am able to see characteristics, identify, organize, and to be able to say I don't have to have this treatment/ interaction/ conversation, and that is okay. Today I feel empowered by the word of: "I am highly attuned". Which sounds kinda funny, but it gives me a lot of strength. So the next time I get an inappropriate rub on my head from a stranger, or conversation which is crossing boundaries that I can begin to say, I don't attract this, but I can see this and understand this, and I do not have to tolerate it. To my Alopecia Family, there should be a book of rights and in that remember: You do not have to engage in a conversation that you feel uncomfortable with. It is healthy to talk about your condition and experience and spread awareness, but you are not obligated. Like with anything your healthy and safety is number one. It is choppy waters and at times we are attune to so much, it can tiring. However, When you talk of Alopecia, let it be special and unique because you are, and keep shinning on.

No comments:

Post a Comment