Thursday, August 13, 2009

To take a stand

I feel that with Alopecia- there has been a silence placed over my body- a bondage as woman, as the overemotional. I think these stereotypes and judgements of women have started long ago. Before the dawn of feminism, before a thought of Heather Curtis was ever mentioned. These negative thoughts about my body are a history of a long story told. So if it has been told- why speak? And I feel that for a stance in women everywhere I have an obligation and right to tell. To speak of a story untold, only unique to I. A tale of that last stand and last strand, only to make something new- a reinvention of that once longing to tell my story, but not feeling the courage and illegitimate with thoughts of woman, bald, heterosexual, and all of those categorizing metaphors we use to define our bodies and try to pinpoint our minds. It is my courage to write- but now only to believe that I can. I can have the courage to speak and feel adequate of where I stand as a bald woman in her twenties not by choice. This is a story of an 8 year battle of adapting with a body and preparing my mind for the journey that lay ahead. I am preparing myself for battle with an ounce and a half that I can keep going, keep going to make other's believe that they can march ahead and lead me, greet me, and teach me a little more love.

1 comment:

  1. What a great Idea to blog this reality. I love the way you write and share yourself.

    As I age, my hair is leaving my body, my head and other places. I worry about the hair loss and I love that you don't have hair. To me it is your trademark. Hairless and Happy. As men age they lose their hair, ergo "male pattern baldness" and I know for a fact there is a lot of vanity gained with the hair of these men falling out. So I think you can help many people face their fears and vanity about their main falling out and heal people who are so inclined to read your blog. Thanks for being here.

    ReplyDelete