Sunday, July 10, 2011

Art, Soul, and Transformation

This past week I attended the Art Therapy Association Conference in Washington D.C. During the conference I was able to expand my understanding of materials in therapeutic practice. Not only did I learn about book arts, but also I took a class on fabric collage when working with trauma survivors. My mind was expanded in the populations I want to work with in the future. I started off learning about dual relationships in small communities. I often have my mind buzzing from dreams and goals such as eventually living up in the country working with rural communities. I learned so much about the complexities of dual relationships in small communities, the importance of confidentiality, and thinking about self disclosure through the internet. This really started making me consider the ways in which I have self disclosed through facebook, or even this blog. The question came to mind, as a writer/ artist disclosing (to a certain degree) is part of my process, but as a future therapist how could that hinder my relationship to the profession, my clients, and privacy/ boundaries of self.

I was incredibly moved by the momentum behind working with military soliders returning from oversees, particularly demonstrating PTSD. There was a panel on the projects behind this movement. And a client shared his story processing his battle with PTSD. And next thing I know he said... My disability will no longer be my liability. My jaw dropped because going on a year and half ago I spoke those words through my sermon at Glide Memorial Church when interning there. I realized about blessings and hidden interconnectedness that truly exists. There is healing happening in this world and it's going to get so much better. My vocation is calling. And here I am- ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment